If you have been searching the internet for “when to visit a dermatologist,” chances are it is time to schedule an appointment. At Blue Ridge Dermatology, we recommend patients schedule a yearly visit with us for a full-body skin check. During these checks, our dermatologists will look for suspicious markings on the skin, such as new or changing moles, as well as other skin conditions. Yearly skin exams are a great way to keep abreast of skin changes and are imperative for the early detection of serious skin conditions, such as skin cancer.
Although we recommend a yearly visit, throughout the year, the need to visit a dermatologist may arise. It is important to understand what signs and symptoms may require attention from a doctor. If you experience any of the signs or symptoms below, do not ignore them. Contact our office today for an evaluation.
Visit a Dermatologist For the Following:
- A rash that does not clear on its own. A rash can be a sign of an allergic reaction or even a sign of a skin condition, such as eczema. If you have a rash that is recurring or lingering, it is important to have the rash evaluated by an expert so a proper diagnosis can be formed.
- Fingernails or toenails that appear yellow or brittle. In many cases, yellow and brittle nails are a sign of a fungal infection, which may require antibiotics to clear. If you are experiencing these symptoms, visit a dermatologist for an expert opinion.
- Severe acne, such as cystic acne. For many folks, acne is an annoyance. However, at times acne can become severe and require medical attention. Dermatologists are experts in the diagnosis and treatment of acne and can help to clear your skin once and for all.
- A skin condition that will not heal. If you have a cut that will not heal or bumps that will not clear, a visit to the dermatologist is a must. These can be signs that something is amiss.
- A mole or freckle that has changed in appearance. Skin cancer is not something to take lightly. If you notice a mole or freckle that has changed in size, shape, color, or texture, seek medical evaluation by a knowledgeable dermatologist. When it comes to skin cancer, early detection can save your life.
It is important to note that the list above is not extensive. You know your body best, and if you feel that a condition needs evaluation, it likely does. Do not hesitate to contact a doctor when the need arises.
If you have an area of concern or need to schedule your yearly skin check, we invite you to contact Blue Ridge Dermatology Associates today. Our team of expert dermatologists is dedicated to providing our patients with unparalleled service. We look forward to your visit.